Hello, Gourdgeous. It’s Fall in the OBX!

The last couple weeks have been a mix of fun and hard work. During the week of October 7th, we carved out Wednesday-Friday as extra time to collect data for our Capstone project. We took 2 water quality samples, as well as added a new sampling well in Nags Head Woods. Although we had to cancel our Friday field trip to Hatteras due to weather, we still had a fun Friday. My family was in town, and had everyone over to their AirBnB for tacos! We had fresh Mahi and vegetarian chorizo tacos, as well as some of my grandmother’s homemade coconut cake. I also caught the homecoming parade for Manteo High in downtown Manteo on Friday afternoon. This was my favorite part!!

The week of the 14th was only half a week, since our fall break started on Wednesday. I had my internship, at the Planning Department in Nags Head, on Monday and Wednesday. Wednesday was National Bosses Day, so we had a fall-themed party for my bosses with some pumpkin cupcakes and hot apple cider! I got a lot of work done on both Monday and Wednesday on my project with the Septic Health Initiative. I am looking forward to seeing the ways in which my project at work aligns with our Capstone research.

On Tuesday night, we had a CAB meeting. Instead of talking about our research, we painted and ate burrito bowls instead! Faye Davis Edwards, the creative director at the Dare County Arts Council, set us up with canvases and paint, and helped us paint oysters. Although mine ended up looking like sushi, or a pretty moldy avocado, others painted beautiful oysters! It was a fun meeting that was a break from the norm. We have also agreed to volunteer at the Dare County Art Council’s annual gala on the 26th. This year’s theme is Swing!, and we will be helping to check guests in and out, as well as drive them to their cars in golf carts. We also get to dress up!

I decided to stay in Manteo and enjoy the weather over fall break. It was very relaxing, and I enjoyed 3 beautiful sunsets, as well as carving a pumpkin on the beach. I can’t wait to hear about everyone’s fall breaks, and regroup on Tuesday. That’s all, folks!

Carving pumpkins on the beach!
The prettiest sunset I’ve seen in the OBX! Taken over fall break.